Tuesday 25 June 2013

Eat and run.........an ultra

It's been a few days since my ultramarathon, so I thought I'd let you in on a few insights I've learn......the hard way.
As I prepared for my first ultra I read many blogs, articles and asked the opinions of others. This in mind I bought a few supplies ready to take on the hills of the peak district.

As you see I thought carbs, carbs and more carbs! Actually this thought process turned out to be on the nose,  however what I did not for see was the amount which is supplied by the runs organisers. As I ran I refuelled more with the food on offer than the stuff I bought beforehand.  However, Jelly babies!! Never ate as many jelly babies in my life! They gave me the boosts I needed at times of low blood sugar and when I felt down.
Some of my running mates!!!


Other than the jelly babies,  I only ate one of the "mule" bars and the rest I'm slowly going through as part of my recovery snacks!

So far recovery is going well. I'm starting to be able to walk about now without moaning in pain at every step and I'm feeling more myself. So the prognosis looks good. I'll be up and running again in no time.



No comments:

Post a Comment